Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside.


Greetings, Jason here, just throwing in my two cents or so. With my 10+ years behind the bar, my near obsession with old cocktail books and bar tools, and complete submersion into the cocktail geek culture (magazines, blogs, competitions...) I'm the guy in charge of cocktails at the Great Lakes Distillery (or, as I'm affectionately known to the other guys at the distillery "cocktail monkey").

So, now that the introductions are complete.
F**K it's cold
Current temperature outside: -11º F (-23º wind chill)
Yeah, I know I'm from Milwaukee, I should be used to this. I'm just not a winter person. But, I'm going to try and stay positive. Let's talk HOT drinks shall we. You have your toddys, buttered rums, spiked coffees, mulled cider, glogs...but I wanted something different. I wanted a hot GIN drink. You don't hear much about hot gin drinks. Now, I'm sure there are some out there, but I'm not up for research tonight. I'd like a drink. Upon inspection of my fridge I found a jar of "winter spice syrup" I made 2 weeks ago. I was looking to make a syrup that would play well with old-fashionds and various toddys. Basically it's a simple syrup flavored with cranberries, figs, cinnomon, cloves, orange peel, allspice and nutmeg. I would love to post the recipe, but I didn't write it down. Oops. I've found that this syrup plays well with gin too.

-11º Below
1.5 oz Rehorst Premium Milwaukee Gin
.5 oz winter spice syrup
dash of fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 oz boiling water

Combine in a heated snifter and enjoy while hot.

Keep warm. Good night.

1 comment:

meek-to-chic said...

Sounds delicious! I'll have to get the hubby to make that syrup. :) We hate winter, too, but we LOVE Rehorst Gin!

Post a Comment